Orvis ®

icon icon

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jin Jiang Joy Announces New Artist, Jeanne Gadol

Scarf 'Tidepools', by Jeanne Gadol
I am very excited to welcome Jeanne Gadol as a designer to my fabric and accessory design company, Jin Jiang Joy. Jeanne and I have known each other for many years, so it is wonderful to be working with her as we explore the application of photographs derived from nature to fabrics.

Photographic Inspiration for 'Tidepools' Scarf, by Jeanne Gadol
Jeanne and I met during a trip to Alaska on which I was one of the lecturing guest photographers. I recognized immediately that she was already an accomplished photographer, but as we came to know each other better, I learned that she was also a graphic designer.

Scarf 'Birch Trees' by Jeanne Gadol
After that trip, we stayed in touch with each other and eventually I saw a good deal of her graphic design work which was impressive and incorporated her photographic images in substantially altered ways. In fact, I thought them so striking I recommended her work to PC PHOTO magazine, who published a portfolio of her images.
Scarf 'Birch Leaves' by Jeanne Gadol
Jeanne and her husband Steve (also an excellent photographer) have a lovely home at Sea Ranch in Mendocino, CA and for many years I also taught a photography workshop program in Mendocino at the Albion River Inn. To broaden the exposure of my students during these workshops, I asked Jeanne if she would come in and teach/speak about her use of photography in her graphic design, so for several years she was involved with me in that way.

Scarf 'Tide Pools' by Jeanne Gadol
When I founded Jin Jiang Joy, she was very excited by my ideas and struck off on her own to create a number of accessory products derived from her imagery. I love what she has done and wanted her to be part of my new company as a designer of her own signature line. So, Jeanne is now part of Jin Jiang Joy and these are some of her offerings. Note that her editions are VERY small, her prices quite reasonable, and her designs are fabulous.  This is just the beginning. Jin Jiang Joy looks forward to bringing you much more as we grow this business and broaden the application of our images to other accessories.

#rgk
#lbp

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I am a big fan of Jeanne's work and think this is wonderful for both of you. I look forward to seeing more of her designs on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited to be a part of Jin Jiang Joy and look forward to adding many more of my designs. The Tidepools scarf started with the photograph of mussel shells I took on the northern CA coast. I love the way water magnifies and distorts what's beneath it so I digitally enhanced it to create that magical feel and to enhance its beauty on flowing silk and next to a wide range of colors.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Rules: Constructive criticism is okay, however if you are rude, you will be deleted. Please DO NOT put your URL in the comment text and please use your PERSONAL name or initials as opposed to a business name, to not be mistaken for spam.

Enjoy and thanks for adding your thoughts!

Orvis Supports No Pebble Mine

icon icon